Here is the recipe for my award winning entry in this year’s Annual Minnesota Congressional Delegation Hotdish competition.
Hotdish of Champions
- Tater tot crowns –30 oz package
- One can of Cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 Tbsp of Vegetable oil
- 6 Eggs
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 Cups of Shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 Cup of Cooked crumbled bacon
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked crumbled sausage
- Your choice of cereal (such as General Mills Chex or Total) for topping
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line the bottom of a 12-inch greased cast iron skillet with tater tot crowns and then line the sides of the pan.
3. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. While baking, heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Whisk together the eggs and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Cook the eggs until just set (they will cook more in the oven).
5. Remove the tater tots from the oven and use a spatula to press down on top and sides of the hotdish to smash the tater tots a bit. Pour the can of cream of mushroom over the tots and 3/4 of the sausage.
6. Top with one cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
7. Add the scrambled eggs, sausage crumbles and another cup of shredded cheese, making sure the cheese reaches the tater tots on the sides of the pans.
8. Continue adding layers until desired thickness. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Garnish with cereal.